Yes on 51 for Safe Roads, Safe School Buses and Congestion Relief!
YES ON 51 dedicates EXISTING automobile sales taxes to fixing serious highway safety problems and severe traffic congestion. For too long, critical transportation and school bus safety matters have been pushed aside by special interests in the State Capitol.
YES ON 51 requires the use of EXISTING state funds to:
• Relieve traffic congestion and make safety improvements to California’s most accident-prone roads.
• Improve school bus safety, and provide safe routes for children walking or biking to school.
• Make road improvements that assist police, fire and ambulance emergency teams and protect highway workers.
• Reduce oil and gas pollution from roads and streams.
• Strengthen bridges to prevent earthquake damage.
• Improve public transit to reduce traffic on roads and to improve mobility for seniors and the disabled.
YES ON 51 IS SUPPORTED BY:
• School Transportation Coalition.
• Partners for Highway Safety.
• The Transit Coalition
• California Safe Kids Network.
• California Organization of Police and Sheriffs (COPS).
YES ON 51 INCLUDES STRICT TAXPAYER SAFEGUARDS that:
• Forbid using any state education funds for this measure.
• Limit administrative expenses to 2%.
• Mandate Annual Audits and an Oversight Committee.
• Do NOT raise taxes one cent!
These Strict Taxpayer Safeguards insure Prop. 51 funds will be spent ONLY as promised and without waste.
YES ON 51 MEANS SAFER ROADS. “YES ON 51 specifically funds improvements to California’s most dangerous roads, bridges and intersections.” - Partners for Highway Safety
YES ON 51 MAKES SCHOOL BUSES SAFER. “YES ON 51 will replace thousands of school buses which do not meet federal safety and pollution standards, so kids can ride to school in safety.” - California Association of School Transportation Officials
YES ON 51 RELIEVES CONGESTION. “Prop. 51 will relieve California’s worst traffic congestion areas, improving traffic flow and making highways safer. Traffic is getting worse every day. We must do something now to reduce congestion.” - Planning and Conservation League
YES ON 51 CLEANS OUR WATER. “Road oil and grease pollute our water. Prop. 51 reduces water pollution, protecting people and wildlife.” - National Wildlife Federation
YES ON 51 GETS KIDS TO SCHOOL SAFELY. “Prop. 51 will improve walk path and bike path safety on routes to school, and provides clean air school buses to protect children’s health.” - California School Nurses Organization
YES ON 51 IMPROVES AIR QUALITY. “Prop. 51 reduces air pollution by improving public transit. Cleaner air means healthier lungs for everyone and fewer childhood asthma attacks and other diseases.” - American Lung Association of California
YES ON 51 HELPS SENIORS AND THE DISABLED. “Prop. 51 expands safe and affordable transit services for seniors and the disabled, allowing those who cannot drive to continue to live independently.” - Resources for Independent Living
YES ON 51 IMPROVES EMERGENCY RESPONSE. “Prop. 51 will make specific road improvements that assist police, firefighters, paramedics and emergency response personnel in reacting quickly in a crisis to save lives.” - California Organization for Police and Sheriffs